Girl Loaf



For all your girl loaf needs!

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

New cousins and stuff

So many things have been happening and I've been too lazy to write them down. So I'm making up for it now:

First and most important: We have a neice!!! her name is Anna Laura and from the pictures I've seen she's beautiful. Her mom and dad are doing fine. Since, until Sunday, J and I had only nephews, we are excited about being uncle and aunt to a neice. I adore the boys, don't get me wrong, but it will be nice I think for Lena to have a female family member close to her age.

This last weekend we hosted some out of town friends. Matt and Jenn came to visit from Placerville. We had a wonderful weekend! For one thing, Matt and Jenn are a blast (Matt rendered a Santa Monica busker speechless, which takes some real talent) and for another, we lined up babysitting for Lena, so we got to be real adults for two whole days!

The weekend before, we went to the bug faire at the Museum of Natural History with my parents and Anthony. Anthony, Jason and my dad had fun looking at butterflies and learning about good places around us to catch them. Lena, my mom and I hung out in the discovery area for kids. Lena loved being allowed to touch all the shells and fossils. She had her picture taken by a museum photographer and may be in a brochure.

That's really about all. I have my ultrasound next week and find out the babys' gender. If it's a boy, I see many many baby girl clothes in Anna's future.

2 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger E. Garcia said...

Lysa!
First, congratulations! if I haven't said so already.
Second, what do you think of the Aztlan movement? And the use of the word "Chicano"?
Just curious.

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Lysa said...

Thank for the congats. We found out today it's a girl. I'll blog about that soon.

As for the Aztlan movement. To begin with, I think that the "overthrow" of the southwest is next to imposible and frankly foolish. After more than 170 years, modern chicanos are as much influenced by and part of American culture as anyone else. For one thing, how do we go about approving who is and is not Chicano? By blood? If so, how much? by language? cultural observance? The problem, I think, is similar to that of reparations. I won't deny there's been wrong done to the Chicano population.... the blatant abuses of the treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo are still a sore spot for many, for example. However, it has been so long and the population is now so large that I'm not sure where the reparations should begin. (Although and admission of wrongdoing in the first place would be a start).

As for the use of the word Chicano.... As I'm sure you know chicano is a reclaimed term. Much like the acceptance and use of the term queer, it is meant to turn the weapons of the oppresor (bigots in this case) to a constructive use. To "de-fang" the beast if you will. It is also a political term, a move to self determination. As far as I'm aware, Chicano suggests the acceptance of a many faceted identity. For example, I use the term to refer to myself because while I am Mexican I am also Welsh, and more importantly, American. The strict definition is one who is of Latin (including Mexican, South American, Cuban, Puerto Rican, etc) decent born and raised in the United States. Unlike the term hispanic, which refers to Spanish (and therefore more acceptable European) decent, Chicano embracies the "mestizo", the all in one..... I like that personally.

Let me know if this is confusing. It's hard to write this all out succinctly or coherently. Did you have specific questions? What made you ask? (now I'm curious...) :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home