Girl Loaf



For all your girl loaf needs!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

All Things Beige and Tasteless

Once upon a Time Lena would eat almost anything. Now adays, she will eat ramen (chicken flavor please), chicken dinos, mac and cheese, and more recently pb and J English muffins. Now, really, I can't complain too much because she will still eat broccoli and corn, but feeding her used to be so much easier. I know it could be much worse. For example, Lena loves fruit and will eat most kinds. The parents of one of Lena's school friends told me they did a little happy dance when their daughter voluntarily ate a bite of apple the other day. Still, I wish she were a bit more adventurous. Pilar, on the other hand could do with being a little less so. Most food is still destined for her nose. I forgot this and gave her corn yesterday. Needless to say, we are still benefitting from that particular adventure. Still, I hold out hope. Berry season is almost upon us here and I can't wait to take the girls berry picking. Lena remembers from last year and is already asking about it.

My mother's day was great. Nice and relaxing. We sat around, ate quiche, talked. Jason and I watched Juno in the evening. I HIGHLY recommend this film. It was the perfect combination of sweetness, drama and hilarity.

Lena and Jason just came back from the backyard where Lena picked some flowers for Tristen. Here they are for you all to enjoy:


6 Comments:

At 1:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know something outstanding is in the cards for you up there! You have WAY too much potential and character for Portland to overlook you! Berry picking! Yum! I remember we had blackberry vines that would creep over from the next-door neighbours yard. We had our own little patch for some years, and those berries were good! Happy belated mother’s day! Take care!

P.S. Love the socks!

- Allen

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Lysa said...

Hey Allen!
Thanks. I'm hoping something comes up soon.

I wore those socks until they were about to fall off my feet. Lena is annoyed I'm not STILL wearing them.

Blackberries are one of my favorite fruits. I make a killer blackberry jam. Send me your address and I'll send you a jar when I make this year's batch. We are all out of last year's. :)

 
At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*laughs* Too funny!

About the jam! Definitely! That would be a special treat! I'll let you know my new address when I move. No sense in giving you this one and then I move in two months. I highly doubt I'll make it into Claremont, but here's hoping. It's sooooooo expensive! Any ideas of neighboring communites that aren't as high? I'm thinking just east or west of Claremont, even Upland would do, or west: San Dimas or Glendora.

- Allen

 
At 1:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another thought....

I got a little excited when I read something about you making soap. Any plans for that in your future? I've read up on it in the past, and it completely fascinates me. I'd love to try it myself.

- Allen

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Lysa said...

I'll definitely save a jam for you. :)

Upland is nice. We lived there for a while. Check out LaVerne as well. There is a cute downtown and a small townish vibe, sort of like Claremont. I don't know anything about San Dimas or Glendora, although I think there are cute parts of both. I'm pretty sure Glendora has a big farmers market.

Yeah, I plan to go back to soap making when I have a kitchen that vents better. If you're interested check out some of these sites:

http://www.teachsoap.com/
Has a ton of instructions and recipes.

http://www.brambleberry.com/
Has awesome supplies. They are REALLY fast and I order all my stuff from here. It's great quality and reasonably priced.

http://soap-queen.blogspot.com/
Is Anne-Marie's blog. SHe is the owner of Brambleberry (the previous link) She has great advice and recipes and is a fun read if you like soap (and cupcakes)She's also super nice. I met her at a soapers lunch a few months ago and if you have any questions, I'm sure she would be willing to help you.

Let me know if you start!

 
At 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK,
So, now I’m finding that I can get a decent priced place in West L.A., so I might move there, hehe. I’m all over the place right now, but it should be figured out within a few months.

A couple things I really miss: a farmer’s market and a health food store. So, hopefully both of those are close by wherever I move. I know there is a big farmer’s market in Glendale, but again I think it’s too expensive, although I would LOVE to live there! I really miss Mother’s, Alfalfa’s or Wild Oats. They don’t even have a Trader Joe’s here. UGH! Maybe they do, but it’s not close to home, that’s for sure.

Thanks for the reservation on the jam and the soap links. I think soap making is definitely in the cards for me eventually, even if it’s just to try it once. ;o)

- Allen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home