Girl Loaf



For all your girl loaf needs!

Sunday, July 06, 2008

Portland and Beyond

My parents are visiting from California. They've been here since the 25th and are staying until the 13th so they can be here for Lena's birthday party on the 12th. They are currently in Heppner, Oregon visiting my great aunt and uncle. We've had a good time just relaxing and checking out Portland with them. Lena was a little wary and confused at first, but now she climbs all over them and asks where they are when they're gone. I've tried to keep them in her memory by showing her pictures of them from my flickr account, etc. However, in all the pictures my dad had long hair and he cut it all off the week before they left. (good timing Dad!) After the first day with them Lena and I had this exchange:

Lena: Grandpa's hair is funny

Me: funny how?

Lena: It's a circle.

Me: What do you mean?

Lena: It's little...

Me: You mean short?

Lena: Yes. It's too short.

I figure since both her father and grandfather (the Oregon Grandpa) have long hair she expects it.

So far we've mostly eaten our way through the city. Although, last Wednesday we did go berry picking. The Meeker raspberries from Albeke Farm and hood strawberries from another farm I can't remember were very good, although the hood strawberries have a VERY short shelf life. I think it might have been too much like work for my parents, but I enjoyed it. I made several pints of jam. (Just let me know if you want any.)

For the fourth of July we went to a Beavers game. The girls did very well considering how long they had to sit still. There are carnival like games that Lena enjoyed and a baby/toddler suite that Pilar enjoyed. The game was pretty average until the 8th inning when the Beavers (I can't remember which player) made a grand slam. They won the game 8 to 3. It was pretty exciting and Lena really got into it once the crowd started doing the wave. The fireworks afterward were not as spectacular as I wanted, but I'd go back just for a regular game.

This next week we will probably be visiting the zoo for the free Wednesday concert, and likely doing some more city walking. We'll see what we're in the mood for as the week progresses.

5 Comments:

At 10:47 PM, Blogger Anne-Marie said...

It sounds like a really fun week with your folks. My parents are coming this upcoming weekend and we have three fun outdoorsy days planned with hiking, BBQs and Bocce Ball Tournaments.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Lysa said...

oooh. bocce ball sounds fun. I wonder if it's one of those things I can play with the girls since they like few things more than throwing balls... hmmm...

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cuz! Sounds like you guys are having a blast up there! Tell your parents I said "Hi". I haven't seen them in forever. How's Gina, Robert and the boys doing in Wisconsin? I e-mailed, but I'm not sure if I've got the right e-mail address for her. Anyway, hugs to the girls, and wish Jason a belated happy birthday from us!
Cheryl

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger A Faceless Shin Jin Rui said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl. I got the pictures. I LOVE your dress. It's beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home